HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 1

From:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:09:52 -0800
Hi Nick,

  The reason I consider this application three-tier is that without the
"middle system" changing roles in the middle of the transaction (from
being the server end of the client-server, to being that of a client to
a different server), the overall transaction could not be completed.
In essence, the "end product" requires information to be gathered from
multiple sources, and the current protocols used by the browsers do not
allow this to take place at the originating client's end.  Therefore,
you make the initial request of a server which then turns around and
acts as a client to 'n' number of other servers (which may in fact be doing
the same thing).  The information is then compiled together and returned
to the original client for presentation.  Although each individual link in the
web is two-tier (as I guess everything at that level would be), the transaction
as a whole would be considered at a minimum three-tier, and possible
more depending upon how the "second-tier" server systems actually
acquired their information.
  Maybe my interpretation of n-tier design is not quite right, but from what
I've gathered about it, this "appears" to be a good case.

Regards,
Michael L Gueterman
Easy Does It Technologies
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.editcorp.com
voice: (888) 858-EDIT -or- (509) 943-5108
fax:   (509) 946-1170
--