HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 1

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]> at CCGATE
Date: 02/04/98 08:42 [...]47_4Feb199810:02:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 09:30:34 -0600
ESC (98 lines)
The ESC report two documents on testboot - copied below.

Document Text
Title       : Overriding autoboot process
Date        : 891216
Type        : EN
Document ID : A1412675
Document 1 of 2 (selected in Search Results)

Next document: I cannot interrupt my Model 835 from auto booting

--------

PROBLEM TEXT

When booting my HP 9000 Series 825, it goes right into the autoboot
routine without printing the message that gives me the opportunity to
override the process.  I should be getting the following message:

     Autoboot from primary path enabled.

     To override, press any key within 10 seconds.

How can I get this message to print?

RESOLUTION TEXT

In order for you to get the override message you will have to disable
TESTBOOT.  Here are the steps you should follow to disable TESTBOOT.

1.  Shutdown your system using the shutdown -h command.

2.  Power the boot disc down and cycle power on HP 9000 Series 825.

3.  Get a Boot path fail error message followed by this prompt:

    Enter boot path, command, or ?>

4.  Enter: testboot

5.  See the following system prompt:

    Should the testboot sequence be enabled (Y or N)?>

6.  Enter: n

7.  Reboot system and you will now be able to override the
    autoboot process.

KEYWORDS LIST

AUTOBOOT DISABLE

Title       : I cannot interrupt my  Model 835 from auto booting
Date        : 891204
Type        : EN
Document ID : MA11221210
Document 2 of 2 (selected in Search Results)

Prev document: Overriding autoboot process

--------

PROBLEM TEXT

My HP 9000 SERIES 835 is not allowing me to interrupt the auto boot.
How can interrupt autoboot and why I am having this problem?

DETAIL TEXT

HP9000 SERIES 800  PDC CODE REVISION 3.1

RESOLUTION TEXT

The reason why the CPU is not getting to the section where you can
interrupt the AUTO BOOT, is because it has the TESTBOOT flag set. To
change it do the following:

    Turn the disc drive off and CPU on. Now the AUTO BOOT will fail.

    From the PDC code displayed on the console, go to the list of
    utilities.

    Select TESTBOOT and set it to off.

You can now interrupt system AUTO BOOT and  select alternate boot path
or ISL
utilities.

KEYWORDS LIST

AUTO BOOT; TESTBOOT FLAG; ISL PROMT