HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 02:22:49 +0100
At 15:24 03.02.1998 -0800, Mark wrote:
>1) There doesn't appear to be a patch which contains the latest Patch/iX on
>the HP ESC web site.  The HPRC had to dial into my system and manually download
>it.  New versions of Patch/iX should probably be made available as publicly
>downloadable patches.

Very good point. Sounds like a familiar idea to me. Still not fixed? Sigh.

Maybe not needed as "PatchIX patch". Mover, tar, LZW or .WRQ might suffice
and also avoid "chicken and egg" problems (can PatchIX patch PatchIX?)

>People thinking of installing PP4 with Patch/iX will definitely want to obtain
>the latest Patch/iX first, because PP4 includes LBCJXT6A which will mess up
>your machine if you use the old Patch/iX.

I vaguely recall that each PowerPatch tape (as well as reactive tapes sent
by the RC, at least the German RC) contain the latest PatchIX version. Doesn't
the installation procedure begin with some RESTORE *T;[log in to unmask] ?!

So the Electronic Support Center might be the only weak point (again).

Lars.

(only speaking for lappel, not for @grc.hp.com)