HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 1

From:
"Gale, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gale, Dave
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:21:00 -0700
Richard,

I can see if any compensation took place at the time of hiring that the
company may require a commitment in return (employment contract). However,
usually the training recieved is a benefit to both the employee and
employer. I find it rather shocking that employeer would look at this as
more than proper compensation for a profesional staff..

I remember when I worked for a college, the fact that I could get a certain
number of credit hours free each semester offset the fact that the college
didn't pay as well as other employers. It kept me there longer and made me a
better employee.

Currently I have never worked for a place that required this kind of
committment unless they actively (time off work and paid tuition) trained
the individual and a degree was involved. Deffinitly not for CBT or even
paid classes/seminars.

I'm wondering, is the job market so competitive that they feel they can do
this?

Dave Gale                                          777-8082 internal
Mgr Net Engineer                              823-8082 Phone
PHP NMB Suite 365, Room 19         823-8100 Fax
"A man who never made a mistake,
never made anything"