HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 5

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 21:26:48 +0200
Lars mentions my name in his post, but I must give credit where credit
is due.

Jens von Bulow, our network expert extraordinaire, introduced us to
Samba/iX.

The first time we used it in anger was on our clients HP9000, but the
real scoop came when Jens managed to get it to run on a SureStore LAN
Jukebox we were using for an Imaging project.

The SureStore JukeBoxes come from Greely with Novell Unixware installed
on a 25MHZ 486SX PC with 8MB. We tried to upgrade the processor and
memory, but it seems that the robotics start up procedure relies somehow
on the slowness of the CPU startup :(

Anyway, to cut a longish......, Jens compiled Samba for Unixware,
installed it on the JukeBox, and Voila!, all our images were available
via SMB on a Windows network - no NFS, no strange client-side
installations, no cost, simply UNC the devils!

I began to bleat endlessly on the list about how nice it would be to
have Samba ported to the HP3000, and Lars asked some tentative questions
about Samba - the rest, as they say, is Hysteria.

We quickly learned that Optical is MUCH more expensive (Resources,
Media, Time, Materials) than RAID, and MUCH less reliable, so our
imaging solutions today use RAID on NT. Hopefully, when the
files.per.spindle limitation is removed from MPE/iX, we'll have a pure
HP3000 Imaging solution (at least at the server end). (Is this the start
of another bleat?)

Regards

Neil