HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 5

From:
"Dr. Ferenc Nagy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Ferenc Nagy
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:59:30 +0100

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Kevin J. Mullins wrote:

> We have an ASCII file that contains a carriage return and line feed
> character as a delimiter at the end of the data contained in each record
> following by trailing spaces to fill out the record.
>
> Looking for an easy way to strip out these two characters from each record.
> Was hoping to use EDITOR and MPEX to accomplish this but have not found a
> solution.  Contacted VESOFT for possible answers but they did not manage to
> come up with anything within the past day.
>
> Any ideas how this can be done fairly simply?  We could create a quick
> program to do this but really are looking for other options.

Hi Kevin,

If you can transfer your files to an IBM PC, and you have Turbo Prolog
or PDC Prolog then you can replace the CR LF sequence in its editor
window.
The search and replace in these systems works with repeated function keys.
[f4]old text[f4]new text[f4]
The old text can contain CR LF sequence:
Type
[f4][return][f4][f4]
This editor is among the standard predicates of the Prolog, so I could
write simple PORTABLE editor programs, which invoke the editor behaving
similarly.
I attach three version of them, running under DOS:
The smallest one is compiled under Turbo Prolog 2.0.
Invoke it with an optional starting position and file mask>:
PROLEDIT -123 ab*.cd?
At first you can choose color then you can choose a file matching with the
mask. Then you can select the color of the editor window.
F1 invokes help.
Show help file within help displays the Hungarian help file (Code table
CWI 850)
F4 invokes search and replace as above.
F10 saves the file and quits program.
F8  Invokes auxiliary editor.
Esc quits the program after a question about saving.

The version PROLED1.EXE was compiled with PDC Prolog.  The version
PROLED2.EXE has four parameters where the starting positions are optional.

PROLED2 -pos1 edited_file -pos2 instruction_file

It displays two files in separate windows. The instruction file is read
only.
The attached archive contains two versions of the standard Prolog error
mesage file. The source file show how smart language are Turbo
Prolog (R) [Borland] and PDC Prolog (R) [Prolog Development Center,
Denmark].

                        Good luck
                                                       Frank

  |\    /~ ~~|~~~ Family : NAGY; first name : FERENC; title : Ph. D.
  | \   |    |    Institute of Isotope and Surface Chemistry
  |  \  |   -+-   H-1121 BUDAPEST Konkoly-Thege M. ut 29, (1525 Bp. POB 77)
  |   \ |    |    [log in to unmask]  (36-1)-395-9123 Fax: ~395-9002
  |    \|    |    http://alpha0.iki.kfki.hu/~nagyf/
`-'     '  `-'    Home: H-1102 BUDAPEST Holgy u. 48. I. 8. (36-1)-262-1198.
The lazy man gets tired twice, the miser pays doubly.