HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 4

From:
Scott Mcclellan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 03:14:57 +0000
> Date:          Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:25:58 -0500

With respect to Extra Data Segments the following general comments
apply:

* Extra Data Segments are a "Compatibility Mode concept in a Native
  Mode World". As such, I feel that there are very few examples where
  using Extra Data Segments for NEW CODE is a good idea.
* There are only 16384 DSTs per system, and the system itself uses
  "lots". As such, they are a semi-precious resource. It is not a
  good idea to use "one or several per user". There are plans to
  address this limit, but that does not change the basic idea that it
  is rarely a good idea.
* There is a third party library which implements Extra Data Segment
  semantics (all the intrinsic interfaces) without using Extra Data
  Segments. This is a good option in many case if moving existing
  code   to Native Mode.