HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 4

From:
Craig Fairchild <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Fairchild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:01:16 -0800
On Jan 26,  7:33am, Art Bahrs asks the following question:
>    KSAMUTIL is definitely only for CM KSAM files... so this begs the
question...

>    um... HP ... where is the NM version of KSAMUTIL?
>
> Art "Learning something new everyday :) hehehe" Bahrs
>-- End of excerpt from Art Bahrs

Because CM KSAM files actually consist of two separate-but-related disk files
(a key file and a data file), a utility had to be created to provide for basic
file management tasks on the logical CM KSAM file. Basic operations such as
purging, renaming, or copying a file needed the extra help of the KSAMUTIL
utility to make sure the files were consistent after the operation.

For example, if you were to use the CI to :RENAME a CM KSAM file, you'll end up
with something that just doesn't work. Both the key file and the data file have
user labels that contain information about the file, including the name of its
partner file (the key file contains the data file name, and the data file
contains the key file name). While the :RENAME command does an excellent job of
changing the name of the file in the directory, it is not able to fix up the
user label values to ensure that the key and data files are still correctly
linked.

When NM KSAM files were developed (I wasn't involved at all so I can't take
credit or be blamed!! :-) ) one of the problems that the team wanted to
overcome was the inherent difficulty in managing the two-files-as-one model of
CM KSAM files. Thus, NM KSAM files are really just a single file. They can be
managed in exactly the same way as any other file, using the same CI commands.
So, the NM version of KSAMUTIL is the CI. (Yet another thing that Jeff Vance
has done for the betterment of the HP3000 world!)

Take Care,

Craig

--
Craig Fairchild

Email: [log in to unmask]               Phone: (408) 447-5990
USPS:  Hewlett-Packard Company           Fax:   (408) 447-4278
       M/S 47UA
       19447 Pruneridge Avenue
       Cupertino, CA 95014