HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 17:36:10 -0800
I was poking around on the HP ESC patch database and discovered a LBCJXT6A
patch which contains a new C library.  After Stage/iX-installing this patch,
gcc is now broken, with tons of unresolved externs at run time.

I suspect this problem has something to do with the patch only replacing
various files in /SYS/LIB, and *not* replacing /lib/libc.a, which gcc
depends on in the NMXL form of /lib/libc.sl.  These two libraries in
/SYS/LIB and /lib seem to differ on my unpatched machine; I don't understand
why this should be, or why there are even two copies of the C library anyway.

I sent a private e-mail to Mark Klein a couple of days ago about this, but I
guess he must be busy because he hasn't responded yet.  Because I'm about to
go offline until February 1st, I felt I should warn HP3000-L because I know
people are itching to install PP4 which contains LBCJXT6A (I have *not*
installed PP4 yet; I just installed LBCJXT6A by itself).  You might want to
hold off on PP4 if you are using gcc.

Hopefully when I go back online on Feb 1st, Mark K. will have already solved
the problem.  :-)

PS: This is my last HP3000-L message until Feb 1st.  If you reply privately to
this, you will get my vacation autoresponder.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/