HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 4

Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 17:19:32 -0700
Alfredo writes:

>So, to steal yet another idea from Wirt, I would like to state, publicly,
>that Adager will be happy to consider a good tier-based DISCOUNT for a
>Series 908 (or equivalent) smallish HP3000 whose target audience is not
>"developers" but "small businesses" (or small locations for any size of
>business, or whatever).

Hmm... not that I wish to discourage Alfredo, but this sounds familiar.

The "slippery slope" of tier pricing started in the 3000 world when HP
introduced special software pricing for the HP 3000 Series 37. They did
this when potential customers rightly pointed out that the price of a
modest selection of software for a Series 37 system would exceed the
price of the hardware by 50%. HP responded by introducing a Series 37
software price, and a software upgrade. From two tiers great staircases
sometimes grow.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Unsolicited mail to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.