HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 10:07:26 -0600
Re: (21 lines)
> At 09:51 PM 1/14/98 GMT, Winston Kriger wrote:
> >I believe that the slogan for a "perfectly
> >productive day in the louisiana swamps went something like:
> >
> > "They came through the swamps and they came through the brambles,
> >  but there ain't nigh as many as there was awhile ago~ *
>
> Hmmmm... seems like this came from a ballad called 'The Battle of
> New Orleans', made popular by Johnny Horton.  I think I still
> have his Greatest Hits albumn containing this, from the late
> 60's (if I recall, without searching for it....)

They even play it on the radio sometimes here. The battle site is a
National Historical Monument. Every year, on the anniversary (or close
to it), there is a group that does a reenactment (more or less) of the
battle. I think they had to call it off recently due to flooding, but
I'd expect it to return.

Richard (even though I want to leave, New Orleans is an *interesting*
place to visit) Gambrell