HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 3

From:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 11:20:23 -0800
On Jan 20,  2:03pm, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a trick for validating that a logon string is legit?
> So in a program someone enters "bob,manager.sys.pub" it will fail
> because of the ".pub"?

I don't know if you need this to be programmatic (inside of a program) but
you could write a fairly simple script to validate the *syntax* of a
logon string.  Validating if the account and group exists is simple too.
 Validating the username is trickier, but could be done if you can search
the HPUID.PUB.SYS file (which I don't know how to do), or if you do a
LISTUSER @.@;format=brief to a file and do a binary search on this file.

If a few folks are interested I can write a script.

Jeff Vance, CSY