HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 1

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 10:43:54 -0800
Hi Shirl,
   um... I have heard of this... and even had it suggested by the RC in the dim
dark past... but only as a last resort.... :)

   Replacing is usually the best option (in my opinion ... not that it is worth
much! hehehe) as then you have a new drive rather than a drive with hours on it
and some bad sectors...

Art "hmmm... I know I got up for a reason... just can't remember why?" Bahrs

>>> Shirley A MacLaughlin <[log in to unmask]> 01/05/98 07:51am >>>
Happy new year to all.

We had a problem over the holidays - Predicta reported bad sectors on =
one of our discs. The problem has been resolved (disc drive replaced, =
followed by Install and Restore @[log in to unmask]@) The system: MPE/iX 5.0 PP5, all =
discs are in the System volume set.

To all you folks that have had that happen, a couple of questions -
Our CEs tell us that the RC can logon and reassign bad sectors. When our =
system manager was talking to the response center this was not =
suggested. To be fair there were quite a few errors (both recovered and =
unrecovered) so replacement was the best answer.

Since the system must be booted in single-user single-disc mode, can the =
RC still log on remotely? We've never had occasion to try this, before.

If sector re-assignment is attempted, and fails; do we know what files =
are affected?  Is there any way to recover files in this case?

All information will be gratefully accepted.

Shirl (Crossley Carpet Mill, Truro, NS)