HP3000-L Archives

January 1998, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 14:01:31 -0800
Tracy posts:
> Am curious on this list what anyone's interest would be in a port of
> CA-Ingres to the HP3000 platform?

Speaking as one of the team that maintained the CA Ingres port on the
3000 for a year or so, I can testify that there is/was at least some
interest :-)

> 1) Could this be something anyone would want?

Apparently not.  When we finished the port of the latest version at
the time (I've forgotten the version number now) CA could not find any
current 3000 Ingres customer site that was willing to Beta it.

I believe that the 3000 port existed at the time that CA bought Ingres,
and had several large companies using it.  Unfortunately Ingres went
through some major upheavals at that time, and a long period of time
passed before a new version was available.  During this time I believe
most of the installed base decided to pursue other alternatives or
platforms.

> Obviously, from my signature file, you can tell that I work for CA.  The
> intent is to gather information whether a port for CA-Ingres to the HP3000
> is a worthwhile endeavor.

If you decide it's worthwhile, I can probably dig up the information on
the CA group to which we turned over the 3000 port.  You might find you
already have the product you're thinking about developing :-)

G.