HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 4

From:
Richard Corn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Corn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 01:09:40 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
says...

>We are looking for an alternate solution for printing large reports
>directly from the 3k (running 5.5) to IP LaserJet printers over a WAN.
>NBSpool on the 3k is used to manage output direction.  Our concern is, as
>long as the printer buffer is full, chattering will occur between the 3k
>and the printer and will chew up bandwidth.  What viable solutions will
>limit this chattering down to the LAN vs the WAN?

When you say "chew up bandwidth", I am wondering how you quantified this
and just what impact you determined "chattering" is having on your network.
The chattering is normal TCP/IP protocol exchanges and in my experience has
little impact...

If the printer is on the WAN, then there is no way to have chattering limited
to the LAN. the chatter packets have to travel over the WAN to get to the
printer.

You can have some effect on the Connection Assurance Packets (chattering)
generated by the HP3000 NMMGR configuration, but again, is this really a
problem?

>I understand that one option would be to use a Novell print server.  Does
>anyone out there use this in their current printing environment?  What are
>the components needed to support this?  Does it work well?  Which print
>control functions does it offer?  Any other solutions?
>
>Thanks in advance for your input.
>Rey Mayor

Richard Corn                             e-mail: [log in to unmask]
RAC Consulting                            Voice: (360) 357-9572
P.O. Box 12299                              fax: (360) 352-8453
Olympia, WA. 98508 USA                home page: www.racc.com