HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 4

From:
"Michael P. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael P. Smith
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 23:10:28 GMT
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article
> > Mark Bixby asks:
> >
> > >  Is there any way to configure a 3000 so that in the event of a
crash, it
> > >  will automatically perform a memory dump (a DAT tape is always
mounted and
> > >  online on the machine in question) and then do a START RECOVERY?
>
> Doesn't the system save memory to an item called DUMPAREA when it
> reboots?  Is this the memory state before the crash?  Is there a filename
> called DUMPAREA that can be copied after the fact?  Am I barking up the
> wrong tree?  Don't have an HP3000 on hand right now or I'd look.
>
> Tracy Johnson
> Computer Associates International Inc.
> Manufacturing Knowledge (MK) Group

Mark,

   The answer is both yes and no.  Yes there is a way of doing a memory
dump automatically and then have the system restart itself with a START
NORECOVERY.  However, it has to be to disk instead of to tape.  To do this,
you would have to purchase "AutoRestart" from HP.  Sorry but I don't
remember the price or the part number.

  Just for your information, AutoRestart does allow for dumping to tape and
the AutoRestart manual states that an operator would then have to mount the
tape and put it on-line.  Which would imply that if you had a tape mounted
at all times it would to it automatically.  However, the manual doesn't
mention that even if a tape is mounted and on-line, AutoRestart requests
the operator to press return once the tape is online.  I admit this seems
silly, but that's the way it works (atleast the last time I tried it quite
some time ago).

  Hope this helps.

  BTW, sorry for the big signature (netiquette states that signatures
should be 6 lines or less).  Although I am NOT artistic, I did this and
thought that it came out reasonably well.  So I just had to post it atleast
once :)

         )|||||(
         |     |
        (|-O-O-|)          o          o
         | ( ) |           oo .----. oo
         |     |            oo      oo
         |     |            (| ~  ~ |)
        / \   / \            |  ()  |
       /   \ /   \        .--.  --  .--.               .-----.
       |_|  V  |_|       /    \____/    \             /       \
       | |  V  | |      |                |           O--|__|   \
| Michael P. Smith                                      |  |    |
| Sr. Systems Programmer                                (__)    |/|
| The Hertz Corporation    [log in to unmask] (work)             |/
| Oklahoma City, OK        [log in to unmask] (personal)         |

The thoughts, views and expressions contained in this message are those
of Michael P. Smith, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Hertz
Corporation.