HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 3

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:43:52 -0500
Jerry Fochtman replies:

>When QUERY detects the item is type 'Z' and the FIND value is
>positive, it actually performs 2 DBFINDs; one signed and one
>unsigned.....

Yeah, I can see that's what it is doing.  My original question
still stands: Why?

And furthermore, the more I think about this, the more the real
problem seems to be SQL's inability to handle unsigned integers
in the Z-type data items.  I mean, the problem never surfaced
until we started updating the data set via ODBC and SQL, then
all these "wierd" characters started appearing in the data.

So, perhaps it's the SQL interface to Image, or the ODBCLine/SE
product that's causing these problems.  I have good information
that the problem is the SQL interface to Image, and has been
for some time (like since SQL was first interfaced to Image).
I have also been told that HP refuses to even consider a fix
for this.

The end of all this is BEWARE!  If you're using Z-type data items
as unsigned numbers, you can prepare yourself to convert all your
data and programs and copylib's to handle signed numbers if you
decide to use SQL or and ODBC product which requires SQL.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231