HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 3

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 15:28:56 -0500
On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, John A Beckett wrote:

<snip

> ...unless you wanted strings over 72 characters in length.  Or strings in
> arrays.  Writing a program to do 3-up sticky labels was an adventure.

Early versions of the HP 2000 (A, C) had the 72 character limit, but the
final version (which I believe was date code 1812) was called "ACCESS"
and it supported 255 character strings.

<snip>

> We hired a professor who came from another campus with a 2000.  He brought
> with him a shopping bag full of paper tapes with all the software he had
> developed to support his classes.  I sucked them into the reader, then
> recorded them on a tiny mag tape.  He didn't believe it really fit.  Years
> later when we inherited his office space, we found that bag with all the
> tapes sitting on top of the suspended ceiling just in case.  Years later I
> had the privilege of converting his package (long after he left) to

While hunting for some old HP 2000 OS manuals recently, I discovered a
number of shoe boxes full of paper tapes from various HP 2000s.  If I had
access to a paper tape reader I could save myself hours of typing.

<snip>

> Don't forget that you couldn't do the equivalent of :STORE or :RESTORE if
> anybody was logged on.

Ah yes, SLEEP for a daily, relative backup, and HIBERNATE for a full
backup.

But who remembers the SANCTIFY and DESECRATE commands and what they were
used for?

John (still looking for the HP 2000 OS manual that documents the PCODE
CSAVEd programs were stored in)
John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.