HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:08:28 -5
On 18 Dec 97 at 16:32, F. Alfredo Rego wrote:

> There is a whole class of Unix functionality (such as grep) that is
> easily available through Posix from the MPE/iX command interpreter.

We just began serving QUIZ generated financial reports from our
HP3000 using Mark Bixby's port of the Apache 1.2.3 httpd.  As it
turns out, for reasons of robustness, we already wrote all of these
reports to disc before using fcopy to actually print them.
Consequently the Quiz reports do not need any alteration.

The total elapsed time to get the entire project running, from
commencing the first download from cccd.edu to serving the first
financial reports on-line, was about 27 hours.  Considerably less
than the time it took me to get my first httpd running on my HP9000.

Many thanks to Mark for his fine effort.

In the course of installing apache I had cause to use the POSiX shell
for the first time.  In so doing I found out the following.

1.      The vi editor as shipped does not support cursor control.  Now I
might considered a little odd for thinking this, but why would anyone
ship a visual orientated, page mode editor and NOT have any built in
cursor control?

2.      Apparently it is possible to create a .exrc file which will map
the cursor control keys so that vi will be able to use them.  Thanks
to Brian Duncombe for this tip.  I have the files and will be trying
them out later today, but if this is true why aren't such things
shipped with MPE/iX.

3.      Qedit works from inside the shell and on HFS files. Yeahhhh!  The
only thing lacking is support for the UNIX ! construct to execute a
shell command similar to the : prefix used to execute a MPEiX command
from inside the editor.  If it has something similar that I just
don't know about I would appreciate a pointer or two in the right
direction.

4.      For some reason,  the secondary entry points into system utilities
like ls are not supported.  Even if I create a symbolic link like ll
to ls, the utility does not recognize that the alternate invocation
has been used and displays data in the raw ls format.  This seems to
me to be rather odd behaviour and I was wondering if anyone could
explain it to me.

5.      Can one of you gentlemen or ladies tell me where the default
.profile and .exrc files are kept?  I cannot seem to be able to
locate them using find / -name .profile .  It seems that manager.sys
is set up with some form of default for these  but that no other user
has it.  Can one set up a .profile for an account?

6.      The default mode mask for MPEiX files seems to be:

rwx-------

Which means that new files have to be individually chmod'ed in order
to serve them.  I want to set a net default mask in the .profile so
that the mask becomes:

rwx---r---

7.      I take it that the sticky bit is not supported under POSiX.  Is
this correct?

8.      I have been warned that MPE files served by the Apache httpd
should be variable length.  Is this correct.  I haven't changed
anything and our financial reports seem to come out just fine.  The
presence of the cctl byte does not affect the of the documents.

9.      Lastly, does anyone know of a browser that supports printed web
documents by selection and or page rather than dumping the whole
thing?  I would rather not have to write a java page sever just to
get this functionality since it will be used so infrequently, and I
am notoriously lazy.

Regards,
Jim

---
James B. Byrne                  Harte & Lyne Limited
vox +1 905 561 1241             9 Brockley Drive
fax +1 905 561 0757             Hamilton, Ontario
[log in to unmask]           Canada  L8E 3C3