HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 3

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 20:32:54 -0700
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]> cleverly wrote:

>Allow me to make your fingers very happy, by typing FEWER keystrokes than
>the OLD way!
>
>In Qedit, the last-referenced external file has a shortcut name -- $
>That's it, just $
>
>So, where you USED to type:
>        /l x 1[return]          6 keystrokes
>        /b[return]              2 keystrokes
>        o[return]               2 keystrokes
>                        total: 10
>
>you can get away with:
>        /l x 1[return]          6 keystrokes
>        /o$[return]             3 keystrokes
>                        total:  9

Excellent!  This works well for the LAST file I listed.  But I didn't quite
tell the whole story before (I was feeling a bit sheepish by having taken
so much space for that special case, where I wanted to open the LAST file I
had listed).

What I actually do more frequently is a bit more complex and involves
Qedit's redo stack.  After having done a bunch of "/L x.source 1" commands
(interspersed with some actual work such as *editing* the files), I do a
"/listredo L" to see the listings I have (relatively recently) done and
then I do a "/do k/n" to actually redo the kth through nth list commands
(to see the notes on the first lines of the files thereof) and then I do a
"/b m" to edit the mth command and to open just the file indicated by that
particular listredo entry.

So, even though your nice proposal works great for the special case of the
LAST referenced file (and I will certainly train my fingers to use your
clever suggestion), I still stand by my original request, which would save
lots of keystrokes in the *general* case :-)

>> Good job!  How is your Adager MemoCube supply doing, Glenn?
>
>Not well. :( But, I still haven't figured how to get the 3000 (and the
>Mac ;) mentioned in Golf Digest. ;)

I'm sure you will figure that out soon.  Anyhow, as a thank-you note for
having saved me one Qedit keystroke per *last* referenced file, I'll be
delighted to send you an Adager MemoCube.  Please e-mail me privately with
your address.

>BTW, the command file Tim mentioned actually started as a Qedit command
>file; I converted it only when he asked if there was a way to omit the
>Qedit reference. It WAS something like:
>
>        ANYPARM string
>        listeq > temp             [the same so far]
>        /list temp "!string"(up)
>
>since Qedit allows Qedit *and* MPE commands (and likely MPEX commands
>as well!) in their command files! And since I stay in Qedit all day long,
>it's like having an OS with a *very* powerful, nearly transparent,
>built-in editor! :)  This example has the added advantage of NOT having
>to launch another program.

This is a very interesting point.  I see no reason whatsoever to exclude
Qedit (or any other valuable programmer's environment) from the "command
programming" topic.

In fact, your specific example shows the tremendous value that Qedit adds
to MPE's own command interpreter (which, in turn, adds tremendous value to
the legacy Unix method).  I would even suggest that keeping the original
Qedit command files -- as an economical contrast to their verbose non-Qedit
counterparts -- would be quite educational.  In fact, the analysis of the
various ways to accomplish the same task would be an excellent way to
present the material from several worthy perspectives.  In your case, a
little side trip into grep (and perhaps into Magnet from Sieler & Lund)
would be quite welcome.

I would like to see the continuation of this online cooperative effort in
building Tim's workbook for San Diego.  By the time he (and David?)
present(s) this talk, everyone who has participated on HP3000-L will have
had quite a head start over those attendees that show up cold.

Ladies and gentlemen, start your keyboards :-)

 _______________
|            r  |  Alfredo              mailto:[log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs           Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.