HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 3

From:
Tim Ericson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Ericson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:51:39 -0800
Mark Gross wrote:

> I need to create a ascii file from Image data. The file must have
> one record per line, but my problem is that Quiz will only allow 240
> characters max per line. I need about 400.
> Anyone have any clever solutions?

Hi Mark,

QUIZ will only allow 264 characters for SET REPORT DEVICE DISC, however
SET SUBFILE with a REPORT SUMMARY has no such limit (we have subfiles
here that are over 1000 bytes wide).  Numeric items, however, are not
stored as ASCII in subfiles, so must be ASCII converted in a DEFINE
statement before output (and the DEFINEd item used in the REPORT SUMMARY
statement instead of the original numeric item name).

The problem with using SET SUBFILE is that no headers or footers appear
in the output file, and multiple passes have to be run to collect that
information and append it onto end of the the same subfile (by using
extra-long DEFINEd items to collect the data for each header, detail,
and footer record) - which is a kludge, but does work in a pinch.  A
final pass must be run to put this multiply-appended file into proper
header/detail/footer order, sorting on a DEFINEd item that was included
in all the previous passes (Ug - can you tell I've had to do this?)

So, clever?  Maybe so, or maybe just the aforementioned kludge!

FWIW!

   My mind is my own, as are my ideas and opinions.
   My heart, body, and soul, however, all belong to others.      Tim.
   Tim Ericson             tericson    DenKor Dental Management Corp.
   Sr. Programmer/Analyst   at denkor   (aka Willamette Dental Group)
     (& Systems Manager)     dot com     503-526-4440 (direct number)
   Programming HP3000s since 1983!    http://www.teleport.com/~dental