HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 2

From:
"Marco A. Zamora" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marco A. Zamora
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:34:21 -0600
You mention that you don't know of any mission critical NT installations.
Though *I* wouldn't go down that path for our core applications, I know of
*many* financial institutions down here in Mexico (and in other Latin American
countries) which are either already there or on the way there.

Mind you, I really don't know of any that have gone whole hog and replaced
their really important *core* applications with an entirely NT platform
solution (lots of mainframes in banks; some mainframes and lots of minis in
securities firms like us). *But*, for example, one of the biggest financial
firms in Mexico has been proseltizing (sp?) for Microsoft for about five years,
and has ported many of their operations to SQL Server on NT.

On the other hand, if you count applications other than file and print services
as mission-critical: yes, I believe NT is robust enough for *many*
mission-critical applications, though not all (to each his place).

On the third hand (yes, OS discussions are ugly, many-headed and many-appendaged
beasts), *we* consider file and print services as mission-critical: all our PCs
depend on them (except for some DRP-reserved, autonomous computers).

        If we lose our servers for a few hours, we lose lots of business,
        and I'm toast.
        If we lose our servers for more than a day, we lose *the* business,
        and all our jobs are history.

żIs that mission-critical enough for you? :-)...                MZ