HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 2

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:03:40 -0500
Lee,
To use Debug to monitor a process:
1) First find the PIN of the process with SHOWPROC
2) Use DEBUG, first enter PIN #(the pin number from showproc), then TRACE
3) Repeat the TRACE command

Other macros are available but this is a good start. The trace should show
which intrinsics are responsible.
One possibility is the pathing of the discs. It is common to find SCSI
bandwidth problems due to too many devices on a single path.

Another thing that could have happened is that in the past you may have
previously placed master entries using ADAGER on a capacity change. ADAGER
will place the primaries first then seed the secondaries in an attempt to
provide 'empty holes' to prevent clustering. I don't think that SUPERTOOL
does this. Thus you could have a clustering problem that you didn't have
before. HOWMESSY, or DBLOADNG could shed some light on this. We also have a
tool that is more MPE/ix friendly to analyze these situations. I can send
you a copy if you would like.

Mike Hornsby
 (513) 922-0509 - Fax (513) 347-2834
Disclaimers: This communication is intended for the general use "AS IS",
with no written or implied warranty. It does not represent any corporate
views or disclose any private data or information. The sender has made every
effort to attribute authors of any included materials. Reference to any
commercial products, process, or service does not necessarily constitute or
imply its endorsement or recommendation. This communication and the
obligations of the parties hereunder shall be interpreted, construed, and
enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Ohio, excluding
principals of conflict of laws.