HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 23:36:26 -0500
Bruce chants:

>Okay. A system is ready for the big time when its users forget that
>"fiddle" applies to anything other than musical instruments and
>bookkeeping records.

If that's the definition of "big time" then count me out.  As soon as OSes
come right and ready out of the box, you and I better start making our own
hamburgers, because any fool off the street will be able to administer a
system. I am beginning to get the impression that the most people here know
about NT is that it is a product of the evil empire, Microsoft.  I realize
that it is very anti-Dilbert for a supernerd such as Bill Gates to lead
such a cocaine lifestyle, but whether or not he flies coach should have no
bearing on an objective review of Windows NT. I have a hunch that, no
matter which end of an airplane he sits in, Mr. Gates probably wrote very
little of the NT source code himself.

As far as the "NT 1997=MPE 1979" comment goes, I also realize that any
denouncement of MPE in here is akin to screaming obscenities in church,
but, lets face it... MPE not only represents a software investment, but
also a hardware investment. I'd be hard pressed to plop 3,000 dollars into
an existing desktop PC and have a Spectrum, but in all reality, I'd have a
pretty good start on an NT server. (If you disagree, you are paying too
much.)

Now, in all fairness, I do realize that a $5000 Intel or Alpha will only go
so far, but perhaps what we have here is a metaphor for the decline of the
monolithic corporate mainframe mentality. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad
idea for some of the loftier IS touch-me-nots to brush up on their mouse
skills. Just in case.

PS - If *anyone* thinks that MPE was as robust in '79 as NT is now, they
should *not* admit it.