HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 18:10:31 -0500
UTC is on a track for acquiring SCT Banner 2000 software and [unix]
hardware to replace the majority of our existing legacy systems.
Some time ago I had inquired on the list if *anyone* knew of *any*
site running SCT Banner (any module thereof) on an HP3000 and got
only one reply stating they were converting over to a 9000/HPUX
after some initial attempts/investigation on their 3000.

The software is based on Oracle, Oracle Forms, Microfocus Cobol, and
as was required for HP-UX, HP's C/iX for a fat-client/server solution.
In the past month I have heard on this list and elsewhere:

* Oracle runs great on MPE/iX 5.5,

* Larry Ellison (?) of Oracle stating they're not planning to continue
  client/server direction of Oracle [application?] software,

* SCT stock drops,

* Oracle stock drops,

* SCT also wants us to supply a "forms server" to host the client end,
  no preference given to Novell/NT (quote the tech, "Whatever you're
  comfortable with")

* we're daydreaming over what things might be brought to the 3000.

* Target timeframe for Banner switchover is ~spring 1999.

* We need to upgrade our aging 3000 as we had to turn away "inquiry"
  users during the last fee payment/late registration, yet the 3000
  demands are expected to be minimized when Banner comes online.

The overall project, including PC upgrades, software, consulting,
training, etc., is waaayyy on up there.

Catching my drift?

The inclination to go out on a limb is great, but not great enough for
my pocketbook with a project as large as this, especially when there is
little if any recognizable interest from the vendors or customers.  But
it would make for one hell of a success story...

At this point I can't see any hope for making a case for "Banner/iX"
since I have no data to support a case, yet at least one other long-time
college is headed down the same path and possibly others (as well as
some that have already gone down that path).  Thoughts?

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>