HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:04:12 CST
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997 21:17:32 -0500, Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
|JON GUNDERSON wrote:
|> How can I find out about spon[s]oring this list?
|
|Send large quantities of small unmarked bills to me :-)

I know Jeff (not me; the "other" Jeff ;) was kidding when he replied to
this.  I almost replied with the same suggestion last night when I read with
amazement Jon's question.  (I was thinking about suggesting Jon send a check
to Jeff Kell, BTW, rather than to me.  :)  Anyway, I honestly believe that
Jeff deserves every boon possible for all the good he has done and continues
to do for the HP3000 community.  Simply creating and maintaining this mailing
list server warrants it, but in fact he does much more too.  It wouldn't
surprise me if the reality is that Jeff can't accept payment or subsidies
for the service he renders to us all, but that doesn't make him less
deserving.

And if that's not the case, then I think perhaps corporate sponsorship might
be a good thing.  I only have one demand.  (I know demand is a very strong
word to use considering that I'm just one of many people who freely take the
advantages of this service with essentially no cost to myself or my employer,
other than my time, but I think "demand" is what I mean to say.)  No
corporate or other entity (except Jeff Kell and his employer, both of whom
have an excellent track record on this issue) may obligate the mailing list
to anything other than a refusal to accept advertisments from any
competitior.  ;)  The *last* thing I want for the list is to become Yet
Another Advertising Subsidized Medium.  But short of affecting the content
or presentation of the list, I don't see a problem with Jeff Kell or UTC
benefiting or being supplemented in the service they are providing us all.

Just some of my rambling thoughts on the subject....
:run filter.jwoods.email,flames;stdlist=$null
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask] at Unison Software

"Stand up!  Stand for your beliefs!  There is nothing so wasted
 as a life spent reflecting only the opinions of others."