HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 1

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:47:42 -0500
Jim Wrote:
>1)  Is there a replacement printer for the 2934A (we use four of these and
>they are real work horses)?
>
>2)  Anybody want to quote me a support cost for this printer (located in
>EL Paso, Texas)?

Why don't you aquire some spares? For what you paid in support you could now
own several spare units.
This strategy applies to many other devices as well. For example, many sites
are paying  alot for support of tape drives that they seldom use. Even worse
we find customers paying support for console terminals when they have
closets full of spares. Computech used to send out a price list for used
equipment. This list was usefull for evaluating the value of support. A rule
of thumb is that if one years maintenance exceeds the replacement cost then
ongoing support is usually not a good idea. Most of the time it works out
better to have spares on hand for printers. It definitaly helps durring peak
periods like month end, and if a critical printer goes down, like one in the
shipping department, you can get a working one to them right away.

Does anyone know of a web site that provides up to date replacement costs?

Mike Hornsby
 (513) 922-0509 - Fax (513) 347-2834
Disclaimers: This communication is intended for the general use "AS IS",
with no written or implied warranty. It does not represent any corporate
views or disclose any private data or information. The sender has made every
effort to attribute authors of any included materials. Reference to any
commercial products, process, or service does not necessarily constitute or
imply its endorsement or recommendation. This communication and the
obligations of the parties hereunder shall be interpreted, construed, and
enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Ohio, excluding
principals of conflict of laws.