HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 1

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:45:22 -0800
I have an old version of Reflection 1 (version 1.00) on a DOS version
2.11 PC.  It is an old HP110 Portable Plus laptop (big screen), and
Reflections 1 is hard coded on a ROM chip.*  So in the past whenever I've
tried to transfer files serially, I've always used PCLINK as opposed to
PCLINK2.

Problem 1:

So when I change jobs, etc, when the host does not have the old PCLINK, I
go to ye olde "Upload Host Transfer Program" and of course it no longer
works.  (It is based on FCOPY syntax.) My workaround when that fails, I go
to ye olde tape and do a RESTORE or if I can find it, (CMSTORE if
necessary).

Problem 2:

Lately, after loading PCLINK, even using PCLINK doesn't seem to work.  I
get errors from the host.  (This old PC doesn't have cut & paste, neither
did I attempt it today, as I'm not anywhere near the host today, and of
course I forgot to write the error message down.  Something about the RL
or the SL.)  Anyway, any hints?  Do I need to do something special to the
host like patch the SL?  Does it have something to do with 5.5?  Or
should I let my HP 110+ die a slow death?

(I also have the ROM chip set for HP's old "AdvanceLink", .... maybe I
should try that....)

* It is really, Really, REALLY hard to put a virus on this puppy, a ROM chip
being what it is.

Tracy Johnson
Computer Associates International Inc.
(Opinions expressed on public forums
such as list-servers are mine and are
not representative of my employer.)
(For interactive games...)
Minister of Propaganda, Justin Thyme Productions
"Trust No One"
"Semper Pollus"
 ADC-2239-5531