HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 1

From:
James Trudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Trudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:14:36 -0600
Howdy,

Stan graciously offered some assistance which sent me down the
road to do some more reading, this time in the man pages of the
HP 9000.  I suddenly, for this project, lost interest in tar tapes.
Here's the problem partially quoted from the man pages:

  Because of industry standards an interoperability goals, tar does not
   support the archival of files larger than 2GB or files that have
   user/group IDs greater than 60K.

Umm...just this test file is 4GB and that's cut down from 7GB.  The
*real* file will hit 'bout 18+plus GB.  I'm open to suggestions as to
how the H I'm supposed to get this stinkin' file from the 3k to the
9k.  Got a call in to the third party vendor creating all this migration
problem but they have not returned the call yet and I'm starting
to get really hostile about this whole business.  Anyone looking
for an experianced 3k sysmgr?  My requirements are simple,
I just need a lot of co-workers who enjoy being cuffed about and
a lot of users who enjoy being shot.  Also I only shoot users once.

Thanks againg for the help so far.

Jim Trudeau                       *
Computer Sciences Corp            *
Harlingen, Texas                  *