HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:48:53 -0800
Jeff Kell writes:

> Stan Sieler wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend looking into some method of creating a total system
> > backup and/or something that facilitates rebuilding after a boot disk
> > crash.  fbackup can't do that.  Free choices include ignite (?),
> > dd (make a copy of the boot disk to tape or another drive), and
> > mkrs (if it works on the version of HP-UX you will be running).
>
> Don't forget brat.

Brat is an unsupported utility that should probably be considered obsolete
due to Ignite-UX, which is available for download from:

http://www.software.hp.com/software/HPsoftware/IUX/IUX_sw_showcase_allRel.html

One item in the "Why MPE is better than Unix" file is that while I've had the
capability to make a bootable MPE recovery tape since my first MPE days (1982
MPE/V :SYSDUMP), HPUX only just attained a similar capability this year, 15+
years after MPE.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/