HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:57:13 GMT
In article
[log in to unmask] says...

>I have a program on an HP3000, and it needs to get data from a database on an
>NT Server.  I can make the database Access or Foxpro or whatever I need it to
>be.  I also have ODBC configured, and I can tune it as needed.  I am all
>powerful, but not all knowing.  Oh and they are networked together and can
ping
>each other.  Now how do I look up data on the NT database????  Surely it is
not
>as simple as setting a file equation.  Are there books/manuals I can read???
>And example???  A magic widget????

No it is not that simple. :)

A solution might be to run a program on NT and another on the 3000 that use
TCP/IP sockets to communicate with each other. The 3000 program would send a
packet to the NT program requesting info; the NT program would query the
database and return the results back to the 3000 program. I've seen it done and
it works.

Read a book on TCP/IP socket programming for more of the theory behind this
approach.
--
Mark Landin
T. D. Williamson, Inc.