HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 1

From:
Johnson Stephen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson Stephen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 12:29:55 -0500
We have set up a PC with PC-ANYWHERE (all win95) for dial in connect to
the server.
On the machine from home, you fire up PC-ANYWHERE and it calls into the
PC which is waiting for your call.  PC-ANYWHERE then asked 'what is the
number I should call you back at ?".  Now I enter my home number and
sure enough, the PC (PC-ANYWHERE) calls me back and establishes the
connection.
At this point you have taken control of the PC at work and are using it
to do your work. At this point, my computer at home is doing nothing
except shooting screen shots back and forth.  This design (to use the
computers to transfer screen shots) is for speed.  If you were using
your computer at home as the work horse, transferring excel data for
example, it would take hours to do this type of transferring so
transferring screen shots is much faster.
The problem is when you end your session.  The users do not use or
forget to use the proper exit 'END REMOTE SESSION' icon on PC-ANYWHERE.
They forget that they are controlling the PC at work when they 'EXIT'
PC-ANYWHERE leaving the machine at work in a shut down state "YOUR
COMPUTER IS NOW READY TO SHUT DOWN".
Of course anyone who comes along later, it doesn't answer the phone.

I know there is a better way.

Any suggestions ?

tks
sj