HP3000-L Archives

December 1997, Week 1

From:
Eric Spangler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Spangler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:04:24 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Jack Gaddy  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>The HPRC just told me there's a known problem with Patch/iX NOT
>properly qualifying all Mpe/iX 5.5 EXPRESS-3 patches.   I had noticed
>that several Patches did not install, but didn't really know that a Patch/iX
>bug was involved.  For example, the key patch for ODBCLINK/SE
>(SQLJXR2B) DID NOT INSTALL, so I really don't have ODBCLINK!   Also,
>MPEJXR6C (the new Listf,ACCESS feature) DID NOT INSTALL - one HPRC
>guy said that this was OK because the LISTF,ACCESS feature "didn't
>make it into Express-3" (even though it's in the Exp-3 Communicator?!! -
>can some verify this for me?).   I've got another call into HPRC to help
>me go back thru all the Patch/iX "Non-Qualified's" to figure out which
>others ones s/b "Force Installed".   Just wanted everybody to be aware
>of the problem - I wish I had known, because this Patch/iX process, as
>nice as it is conceptually, is time-consuming and not something I look
>forward to doing again for no reason.   Anyone else have this happen to
>them???

Experienced the same problem last week.  The HPRC informed me that (as
has already been discussed on this forum), the Patch/iX program does not
automatically qualify "enhancements".  Both LISTF,ACCESS and ODBCLINK
fall into that category.  The solution is to either force them to be
qualified in Patch/iX before completing the procedure, or applying the
entire PowerPatch again using AUTOINST (which will qualify enhancements
and bug fixes.)  Obviously, it would've been helpful to include a note
to this fact along with the Communicator and/or PowerPatch "Read Me
Before Installing" notes.

Now that I've re-applied the PowerPatch with AUTOINST, I have all the
enhancements listed in the Communicator.  However, the new PAUSE options
are NOT included in the system's help file, nor do the examples in the
Communicator appear to be working as advertised.  Anyone else with these
problems?

---
Eric Spangler                                  Email: [log in to unmask]
Systems Administrator, Systems Management      Phone: 301-985-7342 (FAX 7860)
University of Maryland University College      College Park, Maryland, USA