HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 5

From:
Ian Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:54:03 +1300
Can anyone help me.
I have just had a HP968 running MPE5.5 sent to me a customer in the USA.
I have never used this version of MPE before, and the machine wasn't
sent with any manuals.
I am having a problem with the VESOFT security that they had set up on
the machine.
Whenever I try to log on to the machine, by either telnet (it was fun
figuring our how to set that up with no manuals) or onto the console, I
get the message,

"Error: Your session name doesn't match system standards"

I figured out (more by luck than judgement) that I could use,

hello system,manager.sys

to get on, but it won't let me log on more than once with the same
session name.
How do I find out what the "system standards" are. And how do I disable
them (this is essentially going to be a porting machine, and so does not
need much security at all).

As you have probably figured out, I don't know an awful lot about MPE
(although I have ported a 500000 C application to our old HP3000 running
4.0.0, but that was a couple of years back). I am actually a Unix
systems programmer.

Also, I saw on the web that some nice person had ported Emacs to MPE.
Where can I get it?

Many thanks for your help.
Ian Collins.
System Manager,