HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:13:36 -0700
Mark Bianco <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've downloaded some MPE flatfiles to my PC. Besides Notepad, what's
>the best
>way to view them so that all the columns stay aligned when some of the
>fields
>are binary or computational fields? Even better, how can I view those
>fields,
>too? Thanks in advance...
>
>Mark Bianco
>
>Mark Bianco
>mbianco at axiom-systems dot com

Why bother downgrading (err... I mean "downloading) the MPE files to a PC?

You have several powerful tools on the HP3000.  Several other colleagues
mentioned their tools but, somehow, everybody missed an obvious solution.

Qedit (from Robelle http://www.robelle.com) allows you to list all kinds of
non-privileged files in all kinds of formats:

        /list $hex $char FileName

will list in hex and ASCII (with all columns nicely lined up).

If this Qedit command appears too verbose, Unix-like gurus can abbreviate
it into this elegantly cryptic form (the suspicious character after "/" is
the letter "L" and not the number "1"):

        /l$h$c FileName

Analogously for octal, if you feel so inclined (use $octal or $o).

If variety is the spice of life, the HP3000 certainly has MANY spicy and
fun ways to look at bits and bytes (and to keep those bits and bytes
private, secure, and readily available to authorized multimedia eyes and
ears).

 _______________
|            r  |  Alfredo              mailto:[log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs           Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.