HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:52:51 -0800
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Pat Shugart wrote:

> Anyone got any ideas on how to shorten the length of time it takes to run
> this job? I thought I read somewhere that you can copy the original file to
> a flat file, build the new file in the temp domain, then copy the original
> records back into it at a substantial gain in speed. I also heard it has
> something to do with the transaction manager only attaching itself to files
> in the permanent domain. Is this true? Or is the real problem in the number
> of keys and records in the file?

I've also had some speed success on large NM KSAM files, using a similar
procedure.  I RENAMED the original file to something else, reBUILT it with
the bigger size.  Then FCOPY'ed the from the renamed original into the new
file.

Tracy Johnson
Computer Associates International Inc.
(Opinions expressed on public forums
such as list-servers are mine and are
not representative of my employer.)
(For interactive games...)
Minister of Propaganda, Justin Thyme Productions
"Semper Pollus"
 ADC-2239-5531