HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:41:02 -0700
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
Ontrack Data recovery has published a "report" saying that companies trying
to recover data themselves end up costing the company as much as $7M per
hour. Computer Currents has the story at

        <http://www.currents.net/newstoday/97/11/21/news6.html>

<soapbox>
Next thing you know, Ontrack will take out an ad in the WSJ...everyone will
be told "don't try this yourselves" (because clearly they must not know on
their own when they're over their head)...someone else will publish a
report saying "having your own MIS department is costing you $80B per year"
(like the old Ernest "Hey, Vern" commercials for Toyota)...etc., etc.

No, I don't fear for my "job" (heck, I try to put myself OUT of work with
each client), but this kind of wackiness just kills me.
</soapbox>

There, I feel better. Really. No problem. I'm fine. Thanks. ;)

--Glenn Cole
  Software al dente, Inc.