HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:34:48 -0800
HI Michael & All Listers,
   Ok... Michael presents an excellant check list for reloading a system...

    I have one small point... Michael says to make a second backup "if you have
time"  You need to have time... tapes go bad... I would say it is mandatory to
make the second full back up... and a partial of just the system if you have
time :)  Also, make AT LEAST 2 ColdLoad tapes!!!  that way if one fails you
still have a ColdLoad tape to use.

Art "If it is mechanical it will fail! hehehe " Bahrs

Shawn wrote:
> I can't actually remember the last time I had to reload a system, but I am
> swapping a disk drive on a system and will have to do one.  It's on 5.5, but
> I want to make sure I do the STORE and the RESTORE correctly. Anyone have a
> handy dandy check list?

Here's how I do it:

0) Kick everyone off, and shut down networking (so no files will fail to
STORE because they are in use for writing.
 1) As MANAGER.SYS, :RUN BULDACCT;INFO="@"
2) STORE /;*T;SHOW=OFFLINE etc.
3) VSTORE (or however you like to verify your tapes), on a different tape
drive, if possible.
4) If you have time, make a second backup (I don't trust tapes)
5) Go into SYSGEN, and make a new SLT

When you're ready to reload:
1) Boot from the SLT
2) Use VOLUTIL to add the rest of your disc drives
3) :RESTORE *T;@[log in to unmask];CREATE;KEEP;OLDDATE;SHOW=OFFLINE
4) :STREAM BULDJOB1.PUB.SYS
5) :RESTORE *T;/;CREATE;KEEP;OLDDATE;SHOW=OFFLINE
6) :STREAM BULDJOB2.PUB.SYS

Examine the :RESTORE listings to see if you need to fix anything.

You can re-direct the STORE and RESTORE listings to disc for easier viewing.

Good luck!
---
Michael D. Hensley   | mailto:[log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants  | http://www.allegro.com
650/369-2303