HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
James Trudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Trudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 08:05:47 -0600
Phil,
Paranoia is kinda a relative thing.

We have, for the last week, been running with this patch. You are
absolutely correct it is a beta patch.  I, and others, have to get
some documentation together for HPRC and then it will become
a general release.

We have been running DDX since it was first released and have
3 problems with data loss which appeared to be related to DDX
but could not be proven.  With some help from the Adager people
we were able to recover the corrupted Image datasets.

My point is that this patch addresses a problem in which under
rare instances Image will write records beyond the MPE EOF
mark, otherwise known as "bit city".  Corrupted data is one thing,
but not Adager, nor Bradmark, nor Hewlett Packard, nor, blah blah
blah, can bring back records that have gone to binary heaven.

I did some rather exhaustive testing of the patch prior to releasing
it to our production system and all has run well.  Let your paranoia
be your guide.

Jim (god will this sinus problem ever go away?) Trudeau