HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
"Marco A. Zamora" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marco A. Zamora
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:12:48 -0600
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Donna Garverick wrote:
> yup - i ran into this once upon a time when looking into buying
> office suite s/w from a particularily large s/w company located in
> washington state (is this *too* vague? :-).  i was supporting
> 25 people/pc's - figured a 25-user license would fit.  not -
> each *use* of the product counted against the license count!
> using the shortcut bar thingy?  ding, that's one.  using the
> word processor *and* spreadsheet?  ding, ding, that's two more.
> and that just one pc!  really discouraging news to small companies.

Hmmm, from what I remember of MS's Office software license, any simultaneous
use of one or more components of Office on one PC counts as one license. E.g.:
1 PC = 1 License.

Talking about tiered pricing: I *hate* machine-based pricing in certain cases,
when it's the only type of pricing for the product. For example, say I'm buying
X utility which will only be used for one or two specific tasks by one or two
users: With machine-based pricing, I pay as if all users were banging on the
utility all the time. (No names to protect the innocent).

Just my $0.02 worth...                  Marco Zamora