HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Roy Buzdor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Buzdor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:19:01 -0800
James B. Byrne wrote:

> On 20 Nov 97 at 6:00, Larry Liska wrote:
>
> > Tape:
> > ======
> > 1) My system has a 9144 1/4" tape drive.  Where can I get tapes for
> > it? From what I read, it apparently wants special HP-formatted
> > tapes.  I called HP's 1-800 number and was discouraged when I heard
> > the price they were asking. 2) These tapes look like standard 1/4"
> > tapes.  Any way I can format a standaed QIC tape so that the drive
> > would like it?  Or, does anyone have spare tapes that they would be
> > willing to sell cheap?
>
> These may start out as standard QIC's but they are specially factory
> formatted.  On top of that you had to initialize each factory fresh
> tape prior to use.  As I recall this process took about 5 to 10
> minutes for each tape (it could have been 15 to 20 for that matter,
> it was a long time ago).

We use these tapes all the time.  The price is exhorbitant,
but it is the only game in town.  It is about $38 for a
150' tape (15MB) and $40 for a 600' tape (65MB).  As I
understand it, the tapes use the same driver as the CS-80
disks.  In order to do that, the tapes have a special
low-level format (and that is what $25 - $30 of that price
is for) which can only be put there by HP.  If you deGauss
the tape, and erase that format, it is useless in the HP
after that.

--

Buz         (:

**                                                            **
**  Sometimes beating a dead horse is just good experience    **
**    in horse-beating.                                       **
**                                                            **
**  Notice: if you can read my address, you can read this -   **
**          I DO NOT WANT ANY OF YOUR PRODUCTS, CATALOGUES,   **
**          OR GET RICH QUICK SCHEMES.  To send me a letter,  **
**          and ask me to send it on to others is legally     **
**          considered a CHAIN LETTER.  To originate or       **
**          ppropagate a Chain Letter is a FEDERAL OFFENCE.   **
**          I HAVE and WILL turn ALL Chain Letters over to    **
**          Corporate Legal, and they WILL take action.       **
**          (Hope you like Prison Orange!!)                   **
**  My real address is: \lnuslad dot dzvg41 at eds dot com\   **