HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Larry Liska <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Liska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 06:00:01 GMT
Hello,

I'm the proud new owner of a Series 37, a "classic" system.  My college had
a huge HP-3000, and I did many a homework assignment on it.  So, I jumped
at the chance to rescue my Series 37 from the dumpster.  Quite a
conversation piece!

I have a few questions about these things.  Note that I'm a hobbiest, not a
business.

Tape:
======
1) My system has a 9144 1/4" tape drive.  Where can I get tapes for it?
From what I read, it apparently wants special HP-formatted tapes.  I called
HP's 1-800 number and was discouraged when I heard the price they were
asking.
2) These tapes look like standard 1/4" tapes.  Any way I can format a
standaed QIC tape so that the drive would like it?  Or, does anyone have
spare tapes that they would be willing to sell cheap?

Languages:
=========
3) The system came with Pascal and SPL but no language manuals.  Anyone
have an HP Pascal or SPL manual or quick ref card you would be willing to
part with?

Docs:
=====
4) Does HP still publish manuals or software for these old classic
machines?  (I haven't called HP yet to find out this answer for myself...)

Public Domain Software:
5) I saw a posting early this year that referred to a BBS system that
someone had written for the HP-3000.  I'm guessing that this was pretty old
software.  I didn't see anything that looked like it on the www.3k.com
site.  Does anyone remember the HP-3000 BBS, and where can I get a copy?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

Larry Liska