HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:03:58 -0500
 In <01BCFA4C.4DCD7420@[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> If you really would like some programs to track down or filter spam, here is a
> a s
> ite for you:
> http://www.compulink.co.uk/~net-services/spam/
> They have a program call spamhater to reply to spam senders and their ISP and
>  sp
> amicide, to filter the stuff.

I understand from some others that have tried it that "spamhater" tends to
also blast some of the innocent (other) recipients of spam you get, so be
advised.

Note that it's almost NEVER worthwhile to complain to a spammer directly
anyway; complain to their Internet providers or to postmaster or abuse
mailboxes at the companies where the mail comes from.

At best, from a spammer, you'll get an "I'm sorry it won't happen again"
message (which some send out constantly, though they don't stop). At worst,
you might find yourself the target of a "revenge spam" (where they forge YOUR
e-mail address on the next spam they send out).

              -Chris Bartram