HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've downloaded some MPE flatfiles to my PC. Besides Notepad, what's
>the best
>way to view them so that all the columns stay aligned when some of the
>fields
>are binary or computational fields? Even better, how can I view those
>fields,
>too? Thanks in advance...
>
>Mark Bianco
>
>Mark Bianco
>mbianco at axiom-systems dot com

Why bother downgrading (err... I mean "downloading) the MPE files to a PC? [...]40_24Nov199723:13:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:18:23 -0800
John J Archer writes:

> I just got off the phone w/ HPRC and the word from the lab is
> that there are several patches on the tape that will not install
> via Patch/iX. For my system (at least) there were 9. The most
> obvious was MPEJXR6 (the ci enhancement patch). I'm instructed to
> use AUTOPAT or some other option like HPINSTAL.

This sounds like HPRC unfamiliarity with Patch/iX.

After Patch/iX qualifies the patches, scan the list for anything that didn't
qualify.  Highlight the patch with the cursor keys, and press Enter.  There
should be a function key called something like "Next filter view" that you
can press to view various information screens about the patch.  One of these
screens will tell you which component(s) of the patch had a problem and why.

In my case, CATALOG.PUB.SYS was flagged with a checksum mismatch because I
had modified the catalog to add some error messages.  Not a problem, so I
"forced" the patch to qualify anyway.  I could fix up CATALOG again after
I had installed Express3.

Note that most enhancement patches fail to naturally qualify just because
they are enhancements.  You must explicitly force these if you want the new
functionality.

Never force anything other than an enhancement or local-mods-cause-mismatch
patch without talking to the HPRC first!
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/