HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:32:36 -0800
Bob writes:
> We suffered a disk crash on Tuesday and now that we've recovered and have a
> clearer picture of what was lost, have some questions:

What do you mean by "disk crash"?  What model of disk drive was involved?
It sounds as though the system failed with some kind of disk error and you
neither reloaded the system nor replaced the disk??  What do you mean by
"corrupted"?

> After the crash we had
> two database that were totally trash but the rest of them were ok.  We know
> the other databases were ok because we ran DBGeneral to examine them.

Well, just because the pointers in the database were consistent doesn't
mean that the data aren't corrupt.  I doubt that DBGeneral can tell the
difference between good accounting numbers and totally random ones.

G.