HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
bob mcgregor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
bob mcgregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:37:51 -0700
Message Body (22 lines)
We suffered a disk crash on Tuesday and now that we've recovered and have a
clearer picture of what was lost, have some questions:

Our config was 5 FW disks and 1 SE disk sys 5.5 Exp 2.  One of the FW disks
crashed.  We run  DBGeneral weekly to spread our databases across all drives
so we know that multiple sets spanned all 6 drives.  After the crash we had
two database that were totally trash but the rest of them were ok.  We know
the other databases were ok because we ran DBGeneral to examine them.

In addition, we had some MPE files that were corrupted.  It seems like the
pointer in the file allocation table ended up pointing to the totally wrong
location on disk.

Our question is:

Why would the larger database segments that had been located on the bad drive
not have been corrupted?  Is the file allocation table for each drive located
on the drive or on LDEV 1?  When there are multiple extents to a file, where
does the system keep the address of each extent?

Thanks for the feedback... bob