HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 07:26:52 -0600
Note:  Please excuse the band-width, but Costas' anti-spam
address setup prevents me from responding to him privately.

Hi Costas,

At 03:03 PM 11/20/97 +-200, you wrote:
>The TEMP file system is a copy of the PERMANENT file system structure

/snip

It depends on what you are referring to.... If you talking about disc
structures used to house the data you are essentially correct.  However,
information about the location of permanent files is maintained in
system directory structures while information on temporary files is
maintained in a job/sessions's JDT, or Job Directory Table in an area
called the Temporary File Directory.  This is why they are only known
to the particular job yet can be shared by all child processes launched
from the job/session's CI process. When a job/session terminates
(logs-off), it is the TERMINATE() procedure which walks the Temporary
File Directory in the JDT and basically 'deletes' the files from disc
storage.

/snip

>In other words you can manipulate TEMP files in any of the GROUPS in your
>account.

Yes, and it is also possible to build temporary files in groups in other
accounts and manipulate them as well.  Only you cannot save them as
permanent files unless you have appropriate authorization, such as SM
capability.  By the way, there really is a 'Save File' security attribute
at the account level, only MPE commands do not reveal it, setting it to
"AC" by default when an account is created or security access altered.
What this means is an exercise I'll leave for the reader.... ;-)

/jf
                              _\\///_
                             (' o-o ')

            Today, in 1789 - North Carolina became the 12th state;
                      1974 - Freedom of Information Act passed over
                             presidential veto.

                            oooO  (    )
                             \_)