HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
"Bill R. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:46:14 -0600
We may able you help you recover the files that are written beyond the
EOF marker. We have written utilities for our own use that allow us to
skip over file marks, permanent errors, etc. and read the remaining
files on 9-track open-reel tapes. We have extensive capabilities to
manipulate individual blocks of data.

Are the files before and after the EOT marker written at the same
density, i.e. 800 BPI, 1600 BPI, 6250 CPI? If so, we should be able to
read to the EOF marker, skip over the EOF and read the blocks written
past the EOF marker. If not at the same density, we can probably recover
the files, but it is considerably more complicated.

Are you certain that there are old files files remaining past the EOF
marker? If the old files were completely written over, there is nothing
that we can do to recover them.

Can you read unlabeled tapes? The tape that we would create would begin
with the first readable block(after the EOF) and would continue to
the last EOF. If we must manually create a label, that is more difficult
since the original label was destroyed when the tape was rewritten, but
sometimes is possible.

Let me what you would like to do. We should be able to help you.

Regards,

Bill King

BILL R. King
Data Recovery International