HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:59:31 -0800
Hi,

> no can do...we can sign on using parm=-1 with a user that has sm and it
> DOES ignore the udcs.  we are on MPE 5.5

Then don't do that.

Seriously, I contend that the "problem" with PARM=-1 logons is seriously
overblown, and (at worst) reflects other problems (e.g., too many people
with SM capability).

Only users with SM can logon with PARM=-1 (and thereby bypass logon UDCs).

Does the above sentence indicate a security hole?
Yes...
but...NOT the "can logon" part ... the hole is the plural "users".

There should be one user with SM.  That user should have a good password,
changed frequently.  That user should be trusted.

Given that, there's no reason to ban "PARM=-1" for that user ...
and an excellent reason to allow it!

I've been asked to perform emergency support on remote sites ...
and a couple of times I've been unable to logon due to @#$%^ logon UDCs.
In all but one case, I've been able to get logged on by asking for
permission to logon as MANAGER.SYS *and* using PARM=-1.  (That one case:
they had disabled PARM=-1 ... they were S.O.L)

I've said it before: if you disable logon via PARM=-1, don't bother
asking me for emergency help!

Although I know some people disagree with me, my analogy is that of
a car:  disabling PARM=-1 is similar to getting in the car, locking the
door, and welding the door shut.  You're very secure ... but only in
a limited sense.  When the car catches on fire, you're toast.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html