HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
Greg Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:37:47 +1000
Chris Hill wrote:
> We have been running Eagles's Raptor firewall product on an NT next to
> our HP3000/947.  The firewall works well in protecting our HP but since
> installing the product, we have had problems with NS/VT terminal
> sessions timing out after 20-30 min.  Raptor indicates that they have
> not encountered this time-out problem before.
<snip>
We had the same problem - Raptor firewall was set up & then sessions
were getting timed-out after short periods of inactivity (15 or 20
mins I think, but I can't remember exactly).  I was certain that it
was the firewall that was timing-out the sessions, but the Raptor
people in Australia said there was no time-out function. I was not
satisfied with this & told them that there was!  They checked with
the head-office people (in the States?) and were told that there was
no time-out!  Eventually, someone spoke to the right person and
bingo! - yes there is an UNDOCUMENTED "feature" of a time-out on
inactive sessions.  To change the time-out period (you can't turn it
off), you have to edit the config file (config.cf), find the line for
the time-out & change it (we use 10 hours - I think the value is the
no. of seconds).
Email me directly if you need more details.
                            _\\///_
                           (' o-o ')
Greg Chaplin                  (Any opinions in here are mine)
UniSuper                      (nobody else would want them)
Level 28, 367 Collins St,      Email: [log in to unmask]
Melbourne  VIC  3000,          Phone: +61 3 9648 4145
Australia.                     Fax:   +61 3 9648 4141